Welcome to UCJC!

University Camilo José Cela, recognised as a private university by Law 18/1998 (BOE of April 16, 1999), is part of SEK Education Group, founded in 1892 and rooted in a centuries-old, free and autonomous tradition of education.

UCJC has no ties to any religious, political or economic group.

UCJC has four core missions:

  • Small groupsof 25 to 50 students, which favours academic rigour and individual teaching.
  • Competent educators and researchersfor our university model in which learning becomes a shared adventure.
  • New technologies UCJC makes state-of-the-art computer equipment available to students and provides permanent access to virtual environments through the Internet and the University’s own virtual platforms.
  • Course syllabuses with an eminently practical approach.

Our campus is open to those who do not want to settle for acquiring conventional knowledge, but rather demand academic and personal education to ensure their future as members of a singular society, in which they will have the duty and responsibility to be the protagonists and contribute to its development and improvement.

No visa is required for

  • Students who are citizens of the European Union.
  • Students who are citizens of any of the countries that have ratified the agreement on the free movement of citizens (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland).

Visa is required for

All those students who come from a country that does not belong to the European Union and who are going to reside in Spain for a period of more than 3 months. You must request a student visa at the Spanish Embassy or Consulate located in your country of origin or residence to legally enter and stay in Spain. More information at the Spanish Foreign Ministry.

The Office of International Relations of University Camilo José Cela will send to your home University the acceptance letter you need to process the study visa before coming to Spain.

As soon as your University gives you this acceptance document, you must go, with it and with the rest of the documents required by Spanish legislation, to the Embassy or Consulate of Spain in your country of origin or residence to start the visa process.

Health insurance

Students from the European Union or Switzerland

If you are a student from a member country of the European Union –residents in the EU, Switzerland and EEA– you must request in your country of origin the European health card, with which you can obtain emergency medical assistance with the Spanish health service. This card can be obtained at the medical assistance offices in your country of origin.

We also recommend having private insurance similar to “International Health Insurance” (ask for details in your Social Security service) or any other that includes a repatriation clause.

Students from non-EU countries

If you are a student from a country other than the cases described above, you must take out private insurance that covers medical expenses from your country of origin for the entire period of your stay in Madrid.

Medical assistance

Medical Assistance can be obtained at Primary Care Centres (CAP). These centres are located throughout the city and represent the first step in medical care in Spain.

To obtain information on the telephone numbers and addresses of the Madrid CAPs in your district or neighbourhood, we recommend that you call the Citizen Service number 010.

You will also find full information on the rest of the municipal offices, opening hours and procedures that are carried out at them, on the website of the Madrid city council www.munimadrid.es.

Health Clinics

UCJC Medical Service

At our Villafranca Campus we have a Medical Service for the university community.

Language of instruction

At UCJC classes are taught in Spanish. It is highly advisable to have at least level B1 of the European framework. However, we offer intensive Spanish courses at the beginning of each semester for foreign students studying with us.

Academic calendar

The academic year is organised in 2 semesters: the first semester begins in September and ends in January; the second begins in late January and ends in June. Subjects can be quarterly or annually, and exams are held at the end of each term.

Exam periods

Regular exam dates are January, February for the first semester, and May and June for the second semester.

Recommended arrival dates for exchange students

  • 1st semester: early September
  • 2nd semester: mid-January


  • 1 of January New Year
  • January 6 – Epiphany
  • Easter break
  • 1 May – May Day, Labour Day
  • 2 May – Madrid Region Day
  • 15 May – San Isidro (only in Madrid city)
  • 15 August – Assumption Day.
  • 12 October – National Holiday, Hispanic Day
  • 1 November – All Saints’ Day
  • 9 November – Day of the Virgin of Almudena
  • 6 December – Spanish Constitution Day
  • 8 December – Day of the Immaculate Conception
  • 25 December- Christmas Day


How to get to UCJC?

University Camilo José Cela is located 25 km from Madrid, in the Villafranca del Castillo residential estate (Villanueva de la Cañada).

There are different bus lines that you can use to get to the University. You can check the timetables at www.crtm.es

Alighting at the UCJC entrance stop:

  • 623: Urbanización Villafranca del Castillo – Las Rozas – Madrid (Moncloa)
  • 626: Las Rozas – Majadahonda – Villanueva de la Cañada
  • 627: Villanueva de la Cañada – Brunete – Madrid (Moncloa)

Getting around Madrid

Metro and buses

The Madrid Metro is one of the largest metropolitan railways in the world. It is, without a doubt, the fastest way to access any point of the city. To avoid unnecessary confusion and detours, it is best to get a map of the metro (free at the ticket booths). The metro runs from 6:00 am to 1.30 am every day of the week, weekdays and holidays.

The network of buses Madrid is an ideal way to discover the city. Keep in mind that traffic jams are very common in Madrid, especially during rush-hour. The bus timetable depends on the line, but in general it is from 06:00-07:00 am to 23:00-24:00. After this time, the service is replaced by a reduced one (every 30 minutes) that departs from Plaza Cibeles. Interestingly, these buses are called búhos or “owls”.

In Madrid, the metro and bus networks operate together, so tickets – they can be single, 10-trip vouchers or monthly passes – are valid for both the metro and the bus. These tickets can be purchased at metro stations (vending machines or ticket booths) and at tobacconists.

Personal Public Transport Card

The Public Transport Card is a support with contactless technology that has replaced magnetic tickets and serves to load the transport tickets issued by the Madrid Regional Transport Consortium.

The cards can contain a personal Transport Pass and two non-personal tickets or three non-personal tickets. The Transport Subscriptions loaded on the Personal Public Transport Cards have a validity period of 30 calendar days from the first use. Request your card at: https://www.crtm.es/informacion-tarjetatransportepublico

Commuter trains

If you live on the outskirts of the city, the best option is to use a commuter train. The price of tickets for commuter trains varies depending on the area. Check the rates at http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/index.html


Taxis in Madrid are white with a maroon diagonal band, and the town’s coat of arms on the side. They have a green light if they are free, and you just have to stop them to pick you up.

Getting around by bike

The only advisable day for cycling is Sunday, or on vacation, when the city is almost deserted.


In cities such as Madrid, it is advisable to look for accommodation a minimum of 2/3 months in advance before arrival in Spain, in order to ensure accommodation for the entire academic year.

If for some reason you cannot find accommodation, or decide to look for it once you are in Madrid, we suggest you start your search, at least 2/3 weeks before the start of classes.

It should be noted that rents in the cities of the Madrid Metropolitan area are more affordable in terms of price and have the advantage of being well connected by conventional means of transport: metro, suburban train and buses.

The search for apartments and rooms can be done through newspapers such as Segunda Mano or on the Internet on these websites: www.salyven.net / www.easypiso.com / www.emes.es / https://erasmusu.com/eshttps://www.uniplaces.com/eshttps://housinganywhere.com/es / www.erasmusplay.com / www.aluni.net

International students

We outline below the step by step process to enrol for an exchange for a semester or a full academic year at University Camilo José Cela.

Enrolment process

  1. Proposal from your university of origin.
  2. Submitting the “Registration Form” (deadline: Winter semester: 30 June; Summer semester: 15 November).
  3. Send the “Learning Agreement” form (to choose course, please check the corresponding School course list).

What to do on arrival?

As soon as you arrive in Madrid, please go to the University Camilo José Cela International Students Office to register.

What to do on returning to my country of origin?

Before returning to your country of origin, do not forget to request a marks certificate and the letter of end of stay at the UCJC International Students’ Office.

Students from non-EU countries

We outline below the step by step process to enrol for an exchange for a semester or a full academic year at University Camilo José Cela.

What to take into account before arriving in Spain?

  1. Proposal from your university of origin.
  2. Submitting the ‘Registration Form’ (deadline: 1st semester and academic year: 30 June; 2nd semester: 15 December).
  3. Send the “Learning Agreement” form (to choose course, please check the faculty study plan).
    NB: Given that the University Camilo José Cela is adapting to the European Higher Education Area, currently, the previous Spanish Bachelor’s degrees and Diplomas coexist at the university and will be gradually replaced by Bachelor’s degrees. To find out what classes students can take, please contact the International Relations Office.
  4. Make the arrangements for obtaining a study visa.

What to do on arrival?

As soon as you arrive in Madrid, please go to the University Camilo José Cela International Students Office to register.

What to do on returning to my country of origin?

Before returning to your country of origin, do not forget to request a marks certificate at the UCJC International Students’ Office.