Javier de Hoyos to UCJC students: “To succeed you have to find your place”

The journalist, presenter and influencer Javier de Hoyos  is teaching the series of workshops entitled “Star System: TV presenters vs influencers” to the students of Degree in Communications this year. Javier de Hoyos is one of the directors of the Mediaset Socialité program, is a reporter and presenter and has become an influencer on social media.

University Camilo José Cela has interviewed Javier in one of his classes.

Question. Tell us about the workshops you are teaching for Communications Degree students at University Camilo José Cela?

Answer. My classes are divided in two, traditional media and social media. I tell students about how to find work and be successful, based on my own experience in both sectors.

Q. How important do you think it is to bring professionals who are succeeding in new professions to the university?

A. I think it is very important. I remember that when I studied the masters, I learnt more from Jorge Gallardo than anybody and he is deputy director of Espejo Público. He was someone who was working in the industry, he was teaching me about what I wanted to do, to work in TV”. That is why I think it is very important that universities hire people who are working in the professions they are teaching, so that students can also learn about that.

Q. What advice would you give to students who want to be influencers or youtubers?

A. The advice I would give them is to listen what I tell them in class, what I have learnt, to position themselves in this medium and then make it their own. In the end, to succeed you have to find your place to develop your project in the best possible way. You have to learn from someone who is already in the industry but seek to succeed by breaking the mould.