David Casinos, gold medal Paralympian, gives a conference at UCJC

Camilo José Cela University has hosted David Casinos, four-time gold medallist at the Paralympic Games, who gave a stirring speech detailing all the obstacles he overcame from the moment he lost his sight to becoming a Paralympic champion.

Casinos, who was accompanied at all times by his guide dog Farala, talked about all the stages he had to overcome to tackle his condition from 1988, when he lost his sight, to learning to use his guide dog to get around.

The whole time with the motto: ‘The sun comes out every day, and if not, I’ll make it come out’. As Casinos said in his address, ‘that’s what I said to my mum the day I received the diagnosis’.

The conference was attended both by students from Camilo José Cela University and SEK-El Castillo, as well as by teaching staff from both centres, who filled the Graduation Hall of the UCJC Madrid-Villafranca Campus.

David Casinos was gold medallist for Shot Put at the Sidney 2000, Athens 2004 and Peking 2008 Paralympics and Discus at London 2012.  In addition, he took a further eleven golds at different world championships between 2005 and 2014.